Dear Holy Cross Parishioner,
Father Martin, Father Jhonnatan, and Deacon Joe invite you to join the Council of Ministries this Lenten season in a 5-week Parish Leadership Development formation and training program led by COPA Organizer Arturo Aguila. The purpose of this process is to further discern our communal call to be a part of the Body of Christ by reflecting on our mission as Church and by discerning our call to service.
This training will provide an opportunity to reflect on what kind of parish community we want to be when we come out of the darkness of Lent and the pandemic and step into the new light and new life of Easter and beyond. Our five weeks together will allow us to deepen our relationship with the Lord and one another.
The curriculum, based in Catholic teaching and employing the tools of relational organizing, focuses heavily on understanding the mission of the Church and the responsibilities of parish leaders. As such, the structure of the training is built around an understanding of the sacramental life of the parish, especially Baptism and Eucharist.
Key topics will include:
● Understanding the Church as Body of Christ: as St. Paul taught especially among the Corinthian community.
● Collective Leadership: lessons from Exodus.
● The Mission of the Baptismal Community: exploring a call to be Priest, Prophet and King.
● Understanding the Pressures on Families and Communities: where these come from, why families need parishes, and the role of lay parish leaders.
● Transformational Conversation with the Stranger: lessons from the Road to Emmaus for Teaching House Meetings and Relational Meetings.
● Qualities of Leaders: exploring the Sermon on the Mount and the mission of building the Kingdom.
● The Practicalities of Getting Started: building a parish strategy—working with parish leadership, building ministry teams, organizing house meetings.
Through this formation and training, we will both find and form new leaders to serve in the many ministries of Holy Cross, the Council of Ministries and our forthcoming Parish Stewardship Council among them. We will also discern an ongoing parish participation in COPA as a way to practice Catholic Social Teaching as faith leaders in Santa Cruz.
When: Wednesdays, February 24 through March 24, 7:00-8:30 pm
How: Presentations, small group discussion, readings, with simultaneous translation in English and Spanish.
Where: On Zoom
It is necessary to REGISTER to receive the Zoom Link:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with the Zoom link.
We look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks!
The Council of Ministries